Monday, September 28, 2009

Something New

Not being able to hear doesn't bother me as much as you'd think. Granted, there are times I wish I could hear my children's conversations to each other while they whisper in their rooms, or hear the birds sing their morning tunes, or even when a song comes on the radio and I want to hear more than just the bass or drum beat. There is so much more to me than not being able to hear-- I can see, I can touch, I can feel, I can smell...

That said, there is one other part of not being able to hear that puts me at a disadvantage: hearing people say different words or sayings. There are some words that I have never heard of before, even as a voracious reader.

The other night, my husband and I were joking around and he said the word 'smegma'. That stopped me in my tracks.

"Smegma? What's that?" I asked.

"You never heard of the word 'smegma' before?" my husband asked me.

"No. What does it mean?"

This resulted in lots of laughter on his part and me not believing him. So I run to the computer and google 'smegma'. Huh. How 'bout that, he was right. Go ahead, read the definition of it here. I'll wait. Learn something new every day, eh?

Don't ask how the conversation led to that word!

6 comments:

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Hey it's kinda like "Schmutz." Have you seen that one? I think you'd have to read a book with funny jewish people in it to find a lot of these :P And you know, (foot in mouth about to happen here, forgive me) I never really remember that you're deaf. I only read your writing and you write like any hearing person I've ever met and you write about doing things that everybody DOES.

(well no, I take that back EVERYBODY does NOT can like 200 jars of jam in a month! :P )

BUT!! I have honest to God wondered when I've typed some figures of speeches or my EEEEEEEE!!! or Gaaaallg or Gaaalk's if you get what the hell I'm talking about. But only for a second! And then I remember you're deaf, not from another planet. :)

jenny said...

Gringa-- EXACTLY!! How would I ever come across a word like that unless I read a lot of medical health books! I don't think they even talk about that in health class or sex ed.

I'm glad that you forget I am deaf, because that's not the only thing about me. I like to think that I am up to date on things.. including your *special effect sound noises*!! :oP

It's like last year or so, I was seeing MILF all over the place.. what's that?! Then I googled it (thank goodness for google!!) and found out. Anyway, deaf people wrote the book on sound effects! We grew up using typewriter-type phones and learned to express ourselves in words... I guess that's partly why I like to write, I think I express myself better in written form.

Anyway! Thanks sweetie! You made my day! xoxo

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Jenny - MILF - AHHHAHAHAA that's hilarious! I would have loved to seen your face when google explained. :PPP That's too funny. I wonder if Chino has heard that one? You know, maybe I should point him to google when we get stuck on a word that I can't translate!

Carol said...

I so don't even want to go into why that word came up in conversation but I tell you what, it didn't half make me laugh!!

I think you are a wonderful, witty, warm woman who happens to be deaf!! I don't think being deaf has to define you and as you rightly said...there is much more to you than that!!

C x

Marijo said...

Hi Jenny, I've never heard that word before. I may have come across it while reading scientific stuff but ignored it. Now I know what it means and it's forever ingrained into my vocabulary whether I like it or not! ;) You have a smart hubby :) One reason why I love being around my hearing family, I ALWAYS learn something new, a new word or tidbit. They live too far away. :(

I totally agree with you about people forgetting that you're deaf, I like it when people don't focus on that aspect about me and focus more on my intelligence, talent etc. since we are much more than just hearing loss.
T'care
Marijo

jenny said...

Gringa-- Yeah, that was an eye-opener when I found out what MILF meant! Now I can read playboy and understand what they're talking about! LOL!! Won't hurt checking google next time something you say stumps Chino... :o)

Carol-- Aww! Thanks sweetie! I'm glad I made you laugh, too! that was my intention when I wrote the post-- to make people laugh and hey-- to inform people, too! LOL

Marijo-- Yeah, I love being married to my husband! He comes up with some of the funniest things sometimes! There's never a dull moment with him! :o)

As for being deaf, there IS more to us than not being able to hear. This is why I like my blog so much, I can express myself freely unlike when I go out and struggle with communication with hearing people.

Oh! And I am glad I taught you a new word!! LOL!!