Tuesday, October 28, 2008

::30 Days:: Day 27

At last! I can finally post pictures again.

In the spirit of Halloween this Friday, the girls and I made candy corn cookies! Read on for a how-to and the recipe.

This is what your cookies will look like when you're done baking them. Aren't they cute? Tasty, too! You can use your favorite sugar cookie recipe or buy sugar cookie dough from the store, or you can use my recipe posted at the end.

After mixing up your cookie dough, divide into 3 equal parts. Leave one white, and with food coloring, color one orange and the other yellow. Roll each color into 2 thin logs about 12 inches long and 1 inch thick. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill at least 15 minutes.


On a floured surface, take one of each color and put orange in the middle. Press them close together and sprinkle a little flour on top.


With a rolling pin, roll flat until about 1/4 inch thickness. If they start to separate at the ends, gently press them together and roll over.

With a sharp knife or a pizza cutter, cut small triangles all the way across. Separate triangles and place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake as directed with your cookie recipe.
Here's my favorite sugar cookie recipe. It's my go-to recipe anytime I want to make quick and easy sugar cookies.
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 c butter, softened
2 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
Pre-heat oven to 400*. In large mixer bowl combine sugar, butter and eggs. Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add all remaining ingredients and continue beating until well-mixed.
Shape into rounded teaspoonfuls of dough and dip in sugar and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
You can also dip in a cinnamon/sugar mixture; you can add chopped semi-sweet chocolate to the dough and top each cookie with a cherry half before baking; you can top with a gumdrop; or you can add 1/2 a cup of flaked coconut to the dough then roll in powdered sugar after baking. OR you can do the above and make candy corn cookies!

Enjoy!!

6 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

OMG! I used to love candy corn as a kid. N3S and I will make these tonight. Thanks. xo

Lisa said...

These are soooo cute! If I still had kids in the house, I'd make them. As it is... I'd eat them all myself!!

jenny said...

Dj-- I STILL love candy corn. I think they make them sweeter than I remember though. I can only stand t eat a few at a time now or my teeth start hurting! I hope you have fun wih N3S making the cookies! :o)

Lisa-- You don't look old enough to have kids out of the house!! Make 'em anyway and give them away to friends and family!! :o) I have to keep them out of sight or else I snack on them all the time.

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Jenny, What a great cookie idea, I love candy corn and these look so good. You missed your calling girl, you should be a baker! Your stuff is beautiful to look at.

Lisa said...

Thanks Jenny! That's an old picture of me since I hate having MY picture taken. I always look like a dork! Actually, my girls are 23 and 21 and live far away. *sniff*

Artist Victoria O'Neill said...

love these cookies! and got a good chuckle out of plumber's butt.....