Monday, August 18, 2008

Day 2: Meal Week at Mountain Mama!

I am always on the look-out for new dishes to try, whether it be a main dish or dessert. If I have a surplus of something, I look for recipes that will help me use it up. If someone gave me zucchini, for example, and I get tired of my usual zucchini bread, I start looking for something else I can do with it.

I made a batch of peach jam, love it! But the husband can take or leave peaches and the girls love the peaches, but don't like the jam. Hmm... what to do, what to do?

Then, I came across a muffin recipe that uses peach jam in a magazine I was reading. I tried it out the very next day!

I had all the ingredients needed, except for a box of instant vanilla pudding mix. I'm not running to the store for a box of pudding, so I substituted banana pudding. It made 13 muffins and was too good not to share the recipe with you!


I love the way the jam sunk into the muffins-- gives it a glazed kind of feel.


Here is Middle happily eating a muffin. They don't last long around here and as a matter of fact, they are gone in a day.


I made them again using vanilla pudding, but you know what? We all like it better with the banana flavor. I am now keeping the pantry stocked with banana pudding mix so I can whip these up and use up my peach jam!

Here's the recipe for Peachy Muffin-cakes:


1 1/2 c flour

1 box (3.4 oz.) instant vanilla pudding mix (we prefer the banana!)

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/8 tsp salt

1/2 c butter, softened

1/3 c sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

3/4 c milk

1/4 c peach jam

Pre-heat oven to 350* and line muffin tin with paper liners or coat with oil.

Whisk together flour, pudding mix, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl. Beat in eggs and vanilla.

Alternately add four mixture and milk to bowl, stirring after each addition. Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling halfway. Place teaspoon of jam on top of each and press in lightly (be sure to press it in, or it spills out onto the pan!). Bake 20-25 minutes.

These are great as a light breakfast with fruit, or as a snack. If you make these, let me know how you like them!

6 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

We don't have instant pudding mixes over here and I am not sure what I could substitute? Also Jenny, I have to stir the sugar into my blackberry wine soon, did you dissolve it in a little boiling water first? Or did you just stir it straight in?

Patty Keen said...

You just gave me an idea to make muffins! I'll make this.. thanks!!

jenny said...

Dj-- After you strain out the pulp, add the sugar directly to the remaining liquid. stir it in then let it "mingle" for another week, stirring daily. After that, you can pour into the wine bottles and cork it loosely.

pudding mix--hmm.. I've seen recipes for making your own pudding mix using powdered milk and other ingredients, and I think for the banana flavor, you can get banana extract. One of my blog friends shared her pudding mix.. let me get back to you on that! :o)

Patty-- it's really good!! enjoy!

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

You are a smarty - some of the best recipes are created that way! Do you ever hire out your cooking skills? ;)

jenny said...

Trapper-- I get lots of compliments when I cook, and people ask me to make a special something when I come over or to bring some jams I've made, but no, I've never gotten paid to cook. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at a little mom-and-pop kind of place, serving good home-cooked foods. The husband was a cook in the Navy and a darn good one! Nice to have him cook when I don't feel like it!

DJ Kirkby said...

So all that sugar does dissolve into the remaining blackberry wine -to-be? Okay I'll give it a go next week. xo