Monday, September 15, 2008

Grandma's Beauty Parlor

We had a nice couple of days away, spending time with family and catching up on all the family news. We spent the night at my husband's parent's home and slept in his old bedroom, while the girls slept on an air mattress in the living room. The girls giggled and laughed and bounced on the mattress and it took a good while to settle them down.

My In-laws are the 'early-to-bed' type of people, and by 9 o'clock, they were ready for bed. We don't usually go to sleep until after midnight so this was going to be a quiet night for us. After getting the girls to sleep, we talked and read in our room. Lights out at 10 and I think the baby knew we weren't in our own bed, because he tossed and turned all night. I got very little sleep and by 6:30, I had had enough. I ended up taking a nap after breakfast and felt much better afterwards.

Before we all went to bed, Grandma did her usual bedtime routine and the girls became her shadow. They adore her and she entertains them and amuses them and lets them play with her stuff and they are really quite fun to watch in action. Grandma puts her hair in rollers and pin curls before bed, and the girls wanted in on the fun, too!

Grandma putting rollers on Middle.

My 3 beauties! Middle, Oldest and Youngest.

Middle preening herself in Grandma's magic mirror.

Oldest hamming it up!

Youngest looking ever so lovely.

Grandaddy then chased the girls around with shaving cream on his face and they squealed in delight as they ran away from him.

We went to go and visit my husband's Great Aunt M at the assisted living place. Before we went, we called first to let her know we were on our way there. We followed my In-law's car since we didn't know where she was at and they go and see her every week. When we got there, my MIL could hear "help help" through the door and thank goodness they had a key! We all rushed in to find Aunt M on the floor. She had fallen and couldn't get up. She had an emergency bracelet on her wrist to push in case something like this happens, but she fell on that hand and it was trapped under her body and she couldn't get her hand free. She was on the floor for about 45 minutes by the time we got there. 911 was called and she was taken to the Hospital and it was discovered she broke her pelvis in 2 places.

I am glad we went when we did, who knows how long she would have laid there if we didn't come by at that moment. Please, send good thoughts and prayers her way for a speedy recovery!

We were happy to come home after being away and the events with the doctor and CPS faded away while we were gone. We feel refreshed and energized and ready to take on anything that comes our way. I don't think we will "run away" any time soon and just deal with things as they come. Besides that, we have way too much stuff and I don't want to pack it all!! :o) This house fits us, and after several searches on the Internet for homes, we can't find a single one that equals this one. So for now, we'll stay and we won't let this thing get us down.

You aren't rid of us yet! :o)


Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

I had to come over and say you didn't piss me off when you asked that about the calves. The guy I was talking to, owns cattle, but he isn't too keen on spending anytime knowing anything about them. I'm behind answering my comments - that's why I you didn't see a response from me.

But, on to the good stuff, I'm glad you guys got away for a little R&R. The girls look darling in their curlers, and how sweet for Gramma to help them fix their hair! It sounds like you cleared your mind a little, and gained some strength to stand your ground. Congratulations!

Patty Keen said...

Quite a getaway and your girls are so beautiful!

I tell you this, I miss those special times I had with Aunt Peggy. When I saw your girls with their Gma's rollers, I just smiled until my cheeks hurt.

I love those special moments. I must admit I miss those "scavenger hunts" when I visited my Gpa's house although he hated it when I raided his privacy. He had such interesting knickknacks that I could spend hours playing with.

Oh dear Jenny!! I know I am not blind when I saw your Middle preening, I saw a bottle of Tigress perfume!!! GASP GASP!

That's my favourite perfume growing up and still is! Other expensive perfume like Cinnabar pales in comparison to that.

Faberge stopped producing Tigress so tell Gma to hang on to that! Such a heady scent with beautiful woodsy patchouli notes. *drools* I can still remember the notes, scents all the way back to my childhood.

Thank you for the beautiful start of my day with the sunrise!

Tactile love,

Lindy said...

Awwww what cute pictures !! This blog is going to be so wonderful for those girls when they get older and you can share. :) The pictures alone will be priceless. Jenny I'm so glad you got some good family time and R&R you deserve it.

barefoot gardener said...

So glad your little break was just what you needed....

I will be thinking of Great Aunt M and hoping that things go well with her recovery.

Deaf Pixie said...

It's come back old time with foam curl!
So cute with grandma's curl roller for hairdo and doing their enjoying with mother in law miss their grandchildren. That's sweet she allowing you to stay home and away from CPS.

The CPS need educated about deaf parents raise their kids excellent.

Wendy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Aunt M. It is very lucky that you went when you did.

Your girls look adorable with grandma's curlers. My grandma was kind of like that. She always encouraged our curiosity.

Glad to hear you had a great vacation :). It was certainly needed.

DJ Kirkby said...

Oh dear, so much happened in this post! The girls look adorable, happy to hear you were able to resuce Hubby's Great Aunt and soooo happy that you won't be runnng away. xoxo