Thursday, August 16, 2007

Hubby and his Overtime

When my Hubby came home from work last night, one of the first things out of his mouth was that he wanted to quit! He drives a forklift for a book printing company and they run 3 shifts, 24 hours, printing every part of the book-- the cover, the sleeve, the pages and then they bind them and ship them out. Being summer, employees take their vacations and leave the company short-handed, which makes the company turn around and force people to work overtime. All summer long, there was another worker that has been taking Hubby's Saturday overtime, which leaves Hubby free to come home and spend the weekend with his family. Last night, however, the company told him that he would have to work 12 hours Friday, 8 hours Saturday, 4 hours Sunday, then 8, 12, 8, 12, 8 for the following week. Hubby was quite pissed. Working Saturdays is one thing, but to work 12 hour shifts and Sunday, too?

He came home in a snit and I thought it was quite timely that my post last night was about money. I told him to go and read my latest post before he said anymore. He sat down to read and when he looked at me, he had tears in his eyes. We talked about how he felt and we realized that as much as he dislikes overtime, because it takes him away from his family, it also means extra income for the family. We also talked about how this overtime makes up for being out of work for nearly a year. He was off and got to spend everyday with us and now it is time to make up for it.

I think the book printing place where he works at now is a pretty decent place to work. He has been there nearly 4 months now and it has been a learning experience for him (and me) to see how books are made. It is old hat for him now, seeing it everyday. They will pluck sample books and have an inspector go through them, to make sure there are no printing errors or loose pages from the bindery. If there are reject books, the employees are able to buy the books at 25 cents for hardcovers and 10 cents for paperback. Just that alone is enough to make me stay there!! Hubby will tell me, "tomorrow is the book sale" and I get all giddy waiting for him to come home to see what books he bought. We have gotten everything from the newest Danielle Steele book to an Amish cookbook, to inspirational books to children's books. I have flipped through every page of some of those books and I can't for the life of me figure out why it was rejected! A couple were obvious: a loose page or a banged corner, but most of those books are pristine! Our Christmas shopping is done! :o)

We all have our rough moments where work becomes a drag and then you muddle through it and everything is alright again. I hope this is what Hubby is feeling right now.. just a momentary rough moment and then everything will be OK. This weekend, when he has to go and work overtime, I will be sure to make his favorite foods to take to work, I will not ask anything demanding of him while he is home and will encourage the girls to be good for daddy when he is tired and resting. Or maybe I should be the bitchy wife where he can't wait to go to work and get away from me?

11 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

You and hubby are beautiful together like a harmonious nesting doves' song.

lady macleod said...

I vote for the first plan, the being nice one. Oh my want to come to THAT book sale!

Good hubby, good wife. Well done.

Krissie said...

That last sentence made me laugh. Why not try one plan one week and the other the other week? lol
Give your Hubby my best and hopefully he'll hang in there till it gets better. Good luck to both of you.

D-HOR said...

Ok I'll just second what DJ said cuz it's true even though it sounds really hippie. ;)

I'm happy that you guys'll be getting the extra money but I do remember how TERRIBLY frustrating it can be for an employer to feel as they can just whip people around in what ever hours they want, when they want, just because they can. (ok I've got to stop before I get worked up, aaachk I'm so glad I'm out of the factory)

It's great how you talked him down and are gonna make his fav. foods and stuff, you are such a good wife.

Ok can I PLEASE have a major freak out moment and scream how jealous I am of your free book thing??? EEEEEEE!!!! I am a true book whore and that almost free book thing is just the coolest perk E-VER!!! Oh MAN that's neato!

Unknown said...

I remember when my hubby first started his business. It was tough on all of us because he had to work so many hours 7 days a week. I know he didn't want to do it and I certainly didn't want him gone all the time but we all knew it had to be done. Of course, it all worked out in the long run.

jenny said...

DJ-- Aww.. Thanks!! What does a harmonious nesting doves' song sound like??? ;o)

Lady M-- Me, too! I can't be bichy to Hubby! I would hate to have bad feelings between us and then if something should happen **shudder** I would never forgive myself.

Hubby comes home with 6 or 7 books each time for us and then he will get extras for family members. It's great!! Thanks for coming by! :o)

Krissie-- I'll pass on your best wishes to Hubby. He was looking cheerful as he walked out the door today, so I think he will be ok.

Lindy-- EEEEEEE! You made me laugh with that one!! LOL! We are book hors too and this is such a cool bonus! Sometimes I see a book that would be perfect for so-and-so and I'll ask him to get more next time for gifts. I'm cheap that way! THEY don't need to know we only paid a quarter for it!! LOL

DJ Kirkby said...

Jenny, don't make me sing it!

DJ Kirkby said...

Lindystar..hippie? Me?

jenny said...

DJ-- Sing it baby, sing it!

Sparx said...

Yeah DJ, go on! Jenny, this is a great post. It kinda works for me, sometimes I sit in my basement office with the sun shining outside and the spud off with the childminder and I curse... but then it's all for a good reason. You sound like you've got one good man and one good marriage there hon.

jenny said...

Sparx-- Aww, thank you! I love him and he loves me and I better stop before I get all mushy and sappy! I admire Moms that work 8 hours then come home and take care of the kids. I don't think I could do it. I'd be tired and cranky and take it out on the kids and Hubby. Wouldn't be fair to them. I appreciate that Hubby works to support us and he doesn't whine and say, "It's not fair, I wanna stay home too!" **stomps feet** He knows we are doing what is best for us and the kids.