Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Aftermath...

Christmas Day turned out to be so wonderful for us. All my worries of not being able to get anything for the girls and very little presents under the tree were all for naught. The Grandparents came over the Saturday before Christmas and bought over about 3 presents for each child to put under the tree. We managed to buy a small doll for each girl and Santa put those under the tree while they slept along with a case of playdoh that my Mom had bought and asked me to hold until Christmas. I also made matching hats and scarves for each out of some left over fleece I had from my blanket-making days. It was nice and simple and the girls loved what they got. They played with their dolls all day and are still playing with them today. They loved their hats and looked so cute modeling them and are now looking to the skies for an excuse to wear them when it snows.

I cooked that turkey that was gifted to us and it was oh so yummy! I like to slip sliced onions under the skin along with parsley, garlic and pepper and it seasons the meat so well! Being that we are all white-meat eaters, I saved all the dark meat for the cats to eat. Once upon a time, I used to buy whole chickens and make our own cat food, until the kids came along and it became easier to just open a can. It's nice to give the cats fresh meat and they really enjoy it! They don't wait for me to put it down and often grab it right out of my fingers! Gotta watch out for those claws--ouch! I also made pumpkin pies from the pumpkin out of the garden and it is just yummy. Hubby doesn't like pumpkin so more for me and the girls!

Tomorrow, we are having my Mom, Aunt and Uncle coming over for a late Christmas gathering. They will be staying the night so we were busy cleaning up the guest rooms. I store all our sale items in there for the kid's consignment shop and the girls sometimes go in and play without putting them away. The door gets shut and then it's out of sight, out of mind. Until I go in to change the sheets and realize what a mess it is in there! We cranked up the Christmas music and danced, sang and cleaned up, then I rewarded the girls with hot chocolates afterwards.

Gifts for them will be 3 different kinds of fudge: Peanut Butter Fudge, Chocolate Mint Fudge and Plain Chocolate Fudge; also those Peppermint Creams I wrote about a few posts ago. I printed out pictures of the girls and framed them, and finally, the Santa Heads we painted. I know they will be well received and everything was made out of love from all of us.

How was your Christmas?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad that all of your worrying was for nothing and you had a great Christmas!

barefoot gardener said...

Oh, what a wonderful christmas! I am so glad it all worked out for you. I have the "warm-fuzzies" now.

Wendy said...

It sounds like your family had a great time - and proof that one doesn't need a LOT of stuff under the tree to be happy :). We limited the number of things our girls had under the tree, and they still had a great time. I'm looking forward to this year, when I implement the price ceiling on birthdays.