Sunday, February 10, 2008

Field trip! (sort of)

We sold enough items on eBay to make a trip to Wal-mart yesterday to stock up on some much needed pantry items. The dry cat food was down to the last scrape of the barrel, 3 cans of wet cat food and zero litter. We also had no meat for ourselves and as much as I prefer to buy the organic, free-range beef from the ranch down the road, we simply can't afford it at this point in time. So we bought some ground beef and chicken breasts in the big family pack sizes. I must have been high on Wal-mart fumes because I totally forgot about getting more bubble envelopes for mailing, so I had to venture out into our little town today.

With limited funds, it is very rare for us to make unscheduled trips now. We used to go for drives to nowhere in particular, just to look at the pretty mountain scenery and stop at the little antique shops we come across here and there. Now, the only one that goes anywhere is Hubby for interviews or job applications and if he happens to go into the Big town, I'll ask him to pick up this or that. I only venture out once a week to the food store in our little town and I am starting to feel a little cooped up. So are the girls.

It was nice to have all of us go out to Wal-mart yesterday and it felt like a field trip! The girls were excited to ride in the van and get out for a bit. We used to always go to Wendy's for lunch when we had a big shopping trip in the Big town and the girls expected to go there yesterday. Instead, I ran into the store for a loaf of bread, deli ham, chips and some sodas and we had an impromtu picnic in the car before heading into Wal-mart on hungry bellies.

Here's how Middle greeted me this morning when I was busy working in the office. She got into Oldest's purse where she kept her lip gloss and slathered it on! Too cute and then she made me laugh by puckering up and making kissy faces.

I managed to do some sewing today. Next weekend we are celebrating my MIL's birthday / 45th wedding anniversary and I wanted to make something to give. I have a stash of fabrics and decided to make sort of a centerpiece placemat, for lack of a better term. My MIL, the sweetheart, is such a girly girl and has decorated their house with lots of flowery fabrics so I chose flowery fabrics as well. It's my first attempt at quilting and going pretty good. I have it all pieced and I sewed through the batting layer and the back layer and now I need to trim and then do a border. I'll take a pix of the finished project when I'm done.

1 comment:

barefoot gardener said...

Wow, Middle did a good job of keeping the lip gloss actually on her lips. Up until about the last year Big Sprout would get it from nose to chin and cheek to cheek.

I look forward to seeing your finished project!