Friday, December 26, 2008

Maisie Update

Poor Maisie...

I spent the day following her around with paper towels and cleaner, wiping up diarrhea. We all went to my husband's parents' house for Christmas and Maisie got into the turkey carcass. Whoops! So when she got diarrhea, I assumed it was from the turkey. Then I saw something wiggle. Upon closer inspection-- worms! Ugh!

I called the vet, hoping I could get an appointment for Maisie, like NOW, TODAY, PRONTO!! Luckily, they had an opening and we got an appointment for 4:30. In the meantime, I had to collect a stool sample-- ewww! It's not my idea of fun, grabbing wormy diarrhea and scooping it into a zippy bag.

Maisie has become a well-loved member of the family! It's already hard to imagine life without her! Maisie has claimed this kiddie chair for her own, and seeing Baby in it has not deterred her from sitting in it, she just plops herself on top of Baby! Good thing Baby thinks it's funny!

The girls have much fun pretending Maisie is a doll-baby. They make little beds for her and dress her in doll clothes. When I found out Maisie had worms and a friend of mine told me to not let Maisie lick our faces, I quickly had to put a stop to the playtime and warn the girls that Maisie was sick.
Turns out, poor Maisie has BOTH roundworms and tapeworms. She got 3 shots today, plus 3 oral doses of different medicines and a topical dose of flea medicine. Poor girl is all sore and konked out on the couch. We got rid of all her chew toys (thankfully it was only a couple of rawhide sticks and 2 squeaky toys) and I am in the process of washing all the doggy bedding. Hopefully we can kick some wormy butt and she'll be back in all her puppy glory in no time!

8 comments:

Karen Mayes said...

Ahhhh... worms. Can't live without them, worms, fleas, ticks, etc., come with dogs and cats. Especially if they spend a lot of time outdoors...

Make sure Maisie get her own medical insurance, paying about 10 dollars a month... it will be worth it.

SabrinaT said...

poor Maisie! Hope she is on the mend soon. That is a great photo of Maisie in the baby boppy!

Lisa said...

Worms...EEEEWWW! Luckily, we've never had those. But both our dogs (from a shelter) were very sick when we got them. We call them our Million Dollar dogs because of all the vet expenses at first! But we love them, and know they would have died had we not brought them home.

You should frame the picture of the puppy and Baby!

DJ Kirkby said...

Awww poor little Masie.

Omelay said...

we had a worm scare here about two months ago. we thought that the kids might have contracted it too. puppies giving kids kisses ya know. alas not a problem.

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours, Jenny.

jenny said...

Karen-- we were prepared for fleas, but not the wormy poo. After her meds were taken, she had two nice poos filled with dead worms. Hopefully that will be the end of wormy poo!

Sabrina-- I am all the time having to fight to get my boppies back! So when I had a chance to snag a 2nd boppy, I took it. Now they have one, and I have one! :o)

Lisa-- yeah, that first vet appt was quite expensive! It was almost enough to make us regret getting a dog, but we love her so much that we could never give her up! We asked how much it would be to spay her and we are now trying to put some money aside for that next.

Dj-- I know! Poor girl!

Karl-- yes, that is my next worry. I will be carefully examining poopy diapers for evidence of anything and will take a poo sample to the next dr visit. Hopefully, we manage to escape that!

Coffee-- I read about your Christmas and I hope you are feeling better about it now. Hope 2009 will bring good times and cheer to you and your family. xo

jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.