Friday, September 19, 2008

Busy Foggy Week

I am under attack by the mother of all head colds. I don't usually get sinus infections, but I must be getting old-- I did celebrate my 35th birthday on Tuesday, after all. Despite being sick, we still managed to use up the last of the peaches on our peach tree and our total count is 27 1/2 pints of peach jam. They are small peaches, the size of large walnuts, and it takes many peaches to make enough peach pulp for each batch of jam.

A work in progress:: peaches cooling in ice water after a dip in boiling water; skins and seeds in the compost bowl (along with the remains of a jelly sandwich); freshly skinned and seeded peaches awaiting further instructions.

My birthday came and went like any other day. I shared a party last Saturday with my Father in Law, and there was cake and ice cream and presents. On the actual day, I made myself a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. Hubby made ham, egg and cheese sandwiches for breakfast and then the girls and I worked on the peaches for most of the day. By evening, I could tell I was headed into sick-land. I've spent the rest of the week walking around in a fog-- stuffy nose, crusty nostrils, pounding headaches, scratchy throat, and painful swallows leaving a trail of snotty tissues every where I go.

I am feeling a bit better now, thank you, and I can breathe with my mouth closed again. The tissues are swept up and discarded and now I've got my sights set on apple picking this weekend. I have plans, people! I have plans to make apple sauce, apple pie filling, apple jelly and apple butter and whatever else you can make with apples!

Next Monday, I'll be doing a photo series:: 30 Days :: A picture a day that sums up my life.. Should be fun!


7 comments:

Sparx said...

Hey - happy belated birthday, sorry you've been unwell. I am still very envious of all your home-grown produce...all I seem to be able to grow in my garden are slugs. Settling in for a bit of a catch up, it's been a while, hope you've been well!x

Sparx said...

OK, now I've read back to where I left off last time... just to repeat that I am SEETHING for you and very glad to see that you've perked up. How's the little man? He sounds like a real doll. Love the pics of the girls in curlers too xxx

DJ Kirkby said...

Hi Jenny
So sorry to hear you've been ill but hardly surprising after all the stress you've been under. That nasty cold is over here too and I think it looks to be a long winter in this country with lots of ill people: not enough summer and too warm of a winter makes for lots of happy busy germs.

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Glad you're feeling better and I can't wait for the pictorial!

IndianaJones said...

Happy late birthday...it's funny isn't it how the older we get the more our birthdays just become another day. Yesterday I had to correct my husband when he said I was 30 and tell him I'm 31. His response, "You had another birthday?" yeah, buddy a month ago!

Glad to see you'll start the 30 days in pictures soon. I'm looking forward to following along!

BT said...

Hello MM. So good to meet you. I, too am deaf, probably not as much as you? I have about half of one 'good' ear. I also suffer from chronic tinnitus, which almost finished me off at one time.

It sounds as though you've had the mother of all colds. Ghastly. Glad you're on the mend and good to meet you. I'll have a look through your back posts when I have a bit more time.

I live in Ireland, take loads of photos and try and amuse! Do come over.
Love
BT
x

Megan said...

Happy Birthday!
Very best to you,
Megan(visiting via Black Boxes)