Friday, September 26, 2008

::30 Days:: Day 5

The thing about canning and preserving your own foods, is that it is time consuming and you really need to be dedicated to the work. There are no short-cuts when it comes to canning, but in the end, the quality of the food is so worth it. That said, the girls either help me or they go downstairs to the play area. I added the latest batch of applesauce to my canning shelf in the basement. What you see above is everything I have canned this year with maybe 25 jars left from 2007.

This is what I saw after I put up the applesauce and turned to face the play area. Ugh! I just cleaned this not too long ago and they have dumped every single bin onto the floor. Today was spent sorting through toys and we're not even halfway done yet. They even got into some sale items I had put aside and now I have to hunt for them and separate them again. Ugh!


After the husband came home from work this afternoon, I made fresh salsa and chips for our taco salad dinner tonight. You can't compare bagged chips with fresh ones! Too easy to make-- buy corn tortillas, cut into smaller pieces and fry in hot oil, about 15 seconds each side. Drain on paper towels and lightly salt. I make extra for snacking later, the chips keep well for a few days in an air-tight container.


Not one, but TWO surprises in the mail today! The cutest little owl from my blog-friend, Summer and baby outfits for the baby from a dear friend of mine, Ara. Thanks so much, you two! It really made my day! :o)

6 comments:

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

I like your 30 day plan - that is ambitious. Your canning looks great, I love looking at all that hard work, it makes the dreary days of winter go a little better.

Congrats on the new job - I bet it is quiet without him at home! I know you are deaf, but I think you know what I mean.

RazorFamilyFarms.com said...

I just read through some of your previous posts and have fallen madly in love with your blog! You are wonderful!

My husband's favorite uncle was born deaf and lives in Illinois with his wife (also deaf) and two gorgeous children. They are the happiest family we know.

I love that you can! I do too! Isn't it wonderful? I never get tired of knowing that my hard work will feed my family and save us money.

Thank you so much for entering in the contest. I'm very excited about being able to host such a neat giveaway. If only everyone could win! Winner on Monday!

Blessings!
Lacy

Unknown said...

Jenny,

Do you have a recipe for tomato jam? I'm thinking about making some this weekend.

Beth (Moxie Mocha)

jenny said...

Trapper-- I hope I don't run out of steam with this 30 days project, but I am having fun so far. :o) I know what you mean about a quiet house. The girls and I miss him when he isn't around. We're the kind of family that does everything together.

Lacy-- Ditto on your website! I was just over there and had fun poking around your posts. I'll be back! :o) Did your husband's uncle have deaf kids? Bet I know them if they're deaf! The "deaf world" is so small, everyone knows everybody!

jenny said...

Beth-- Here's a recipe I found in my Ball Canning book-- I've never made it, but I'm sure it's tasty just like all the other recipes I've tried from here!

6 pounds red tomatoes (about 18)
1 box powdered pectin
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon juice
3 1/2 cups sugar

To prepare pulp: Wash tomatoes; drain. Remove core and blossom ends. Cut into quarters. Cook tomatoes in a large saucepot until soft. Press through a sieve or food mill; discard seeds and peels. Place tomato pulp in a large saucepot; simmer until reduced to 3 cups.

To make Jam: Combine tomato pulp, powdered pectin, lemon peel, salt and lemon juice in a large saucepot. Bring to a boil over med-high heat, stirring occasionally. Add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Return to a rolling boil. Boil hard, 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary. Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Add caps and rings. Process 10 mins in boiling-water canner.

Good luck! :o) Hope this is what you're looking for!

Unknown said...

Jenny,

Thanks for the recipe anyway. It turns out that my husband found a recipe that he wanted me to try. Go to my personal blog (http://kentuckylife.wordpress.com) and check it out.

Beth

PS I love your blog.