Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Make Your Own: Baby Food!

Has anyone priced baby food lately?

Good grief! That stuff's expensive! The last time I bought jarred baby food for my Youngest was nearly 2 years ago and it didn't cost as much as it does now. So, as any mother would do on a tight budget, I make my own baby food.

It's not hard, I did it with the first 3, but the jarred baby food was a convenience factor, when I was too lazy to make some or we were eating pop tarts for dinner. What? Don't tell me you don't have pop-tarts for dinner, too!



You could use a blender or food processor, but I happen to have one of these human-powered food mills. I had a hard time finding mine 6 years ago when I popped out my first baby, but they might be easier to find now with the whole organic/grow your own/ green movement.

Anyway, whatever I make for dinner that night, I'll cook extra and grind it up in the handy-dandy food mill. Tonight was pot pie, so I had both peas and carrots to grind. Grind it up then freeze in little portions in an ice cube tray.

After freezing for a couple of hours, pop the veggie cubes out and then put in separate zippy bags and keep it in the freezer until needed.



I take a couple of cubes at a time, and I use these vintage glass custard cups. You could use whatever is handy, but I like vintage stuff. Reheat in the microwave (30 seconds for mine) then I also add a little bit of rice cereal and water to make it a little more filling.





Baby is smacking his lips and saying, "more more!"





I can't get it in his mouth fast enough! Oh, like the bib? I made it. It's pink, I know. It's from when Oldest was a baby and why should I get rid of it just because my latest baby is a boy? A bib is a bib!


"Hellooooo! I'm waiting!"

Oh, sorry, Baby. Here ya go! Yum-yum-mum-mum-mmmmm!

See? Good food makes a happy Baby!
Aren't you a happy Baby. Yes you are! Yes you are! Such a happy baby boy! Aren't you a Hap--
Sorry. I'll go now.

6 comments:

Deaf Pixie said...

That's very interesting you made a baby soild food instead of buy a baby jar which it costly.. I should have thought of that money is reasonable price.

Unforuntely, for my two daughter are now teenager and one grown up left the house last fall for college. I am little missed her for not being around here.

Barbara said...

What a beautiful smile! I did this for my girl when she was small too.

mishkazena said...

It's also healthier.

Some of these processed baby food have higher salt and sugar content. Since the taste buds of the babies are ususally underdeveloped, the seasonings don't make sense at all.

Your baby has beautiful eyes and smile :)

Karen Mayes said...

I love the pix of Baby smiling in satisfaction... babies' smiles and love shining in the eyes are reflections of good parenting :o)

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

I like the last picture the best, what a doll!!

Sparx said...

Ahaha.. I love the last sentence... your Motherhood brain is working overtime! Your son has the lovliest smile and such enormous eyes, what a looker. I made all the spud's food too - and froze it. I had a handy hint from a nutritionist - freeze the cubes in baggies by colour. Apparently we should all 'eat a rainbow' every day so I'd try to give him several 'colours' of cubes at each meal. Now of course all he wants are fish fingers and baked beans... so much for all the effort!