Monday, August 24, 2009

Thrifty Finds

We went to the thrift stores, yesterday and today, hoping to score another dehydrator for my apples. It'd be nice to have two dehydrators going, working twice as fast. We found one, but it only had two trays and they were asking a bloated $25 for it. bah! I got the two I have for way less than that. I'll just keep looking and hope I can score another dehydrator soon.
I have been on the lookout for the Bobbsey Twins books. I read the whole set when I was about 8 or 9 and then moved onto Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys. Oldest is a voracious reader and I am trying to get her some classics and other stories for her to read. The used book store we frequent sells Bobbsey twin books for $5 apiece (too much!). I found a flea market that was selling some for $2.50 each (eh). Then today, at the thrift shop, I found 9 books for $1 each (whoo-hoo!)!! I bought them all! I am so excited and can't wait for Oldest to read them! I may read them with her!
I also found another Bobbsey Twins book (not pictured) at a yard sale for 25 cents, so that gives me 10 books in all.
At the same yard sale where I found the lone Bobbsey Twins book, I found the complete set of Childcraft books at a yard sale for $10! I was so excited! They had lots and lots of older books and vintage children's items, and I think I would have bought more if I had the money, but I was pretty satisfied with finding the whole set of Childcraft. This is a great asset to our home schooling lessons.

At the thrift store yesterday, I came across THREE of these Texas Ware melamine splattered mixing bowls! They are so hard to find and go for a pretty penny on ebay, so I was really happy to find these. Especially 3 of them! After I got home and washed them, I discovered a crack in one of them, so that will be my new scraps bowl. I'll be posting these for sale in my etsy shop this week. *Teena, you want one?? If you do, I save it for you and sell the other one.*

9 comments:

Teeeeeena said...

Aww Jenny, of course, I do. I could never find them. They seem to show up for you. ;0)
Thank you, thank you soo much!
xoxo

barefoot gardener said...

Score with the books!

Did you ever read the Trixie Belden books? They were my absolute favorites, and I have been collecting them ever since my mom gifted me hers from childhood. Did that sentence make sense?

Anyway, I think that if your girls (and you) like/d the Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys books, these will be fun reads as well.....

jenny said...

Teena-- Alrighty! I'll put one aside for you and sell the extra one. :o)

Barefoot-- I never read them, not familiar with Trixie Belden, but now that you mention it, I did see a couple copies of them where I found the Bobbsey Twins books. Hmm.. I'll send the husband back to the thrift shop before he goes to work tomorrow and have him get them for me. Thanks for the info! :o)

Carol said...

Gosh, you are good as sniffing out a bargain!! I love buying old books and last week I found a fabulous Charles Dickens novel at a charity shop for £1!!

The first book that really cemented my love of reading was Alice in Wonderland!! I just thought it was an amazing book :-)...I still do!!

C x

DJ Kirkby said...

N3S is really into the 'Secret Seven' and I am hoping to get ahold of some Hardy Boys books for him as I know he would love them. xo

Sandrine said...

Hi Jenny,
I came to your blog from Darth'.I live in Miami and I have four children (2 boys, 2 girls from 3 to 9).My oldest daughter is 8 and loves to read too.I am trying to downsize because of lack of room.I have some "girls" books I can give you for your oldest.Some are new (duplicate) and some are used.Email me at jefsaraurmax@hotmail.com if you are interested.
Take care.
Sandrine

jenny said...

Carol-- Would you believe I have NEVER read Alice in Wonderland?! The husband still has a copy of it from his childhood and I plan to read that to the girls one day. Lack of money helps in sniffing out bargains! :o)

Dj-- Secret Seven? I'll have to look that up. N3S might like the Encyclopedia Brown series.. I loved those as a kid. The used book store has loads of Hardy boys and nancy drew for less money-- I think the Bobbsey Twins were not as popular so they only have a few (overpriced) copies.

Sandrine-- Thank You!! :o) I am definitely interested, as it is getting challenging to keep Oldest supplied with books she is interested in. Sending email shortly! :o)

Carol said...

Oh you must!!! I think you would love it :-)

----------------

“When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less.”

From Alice in Wonderland

-----------------

C x

jenny said...

Carol-- Based on that line alone, makes me want to read it! :o) I know what I am reading tonight for the girls' bedtime story! :o)