Friday, December 14, 2007

Spirits Lifted!

In my previous post, I said I wasn't feeling the Christmas spirit because we are going through some tough times right now. Hubby has been out of work and is having a hard time finding a job. We have burned through all our savings, emptied the coin jars, and now we are sadly, eyeing the girl's piggy banks. I have been selling things on eBay and that little bit of income is helping to keep gas in the car and food in our bellies, but not enough to pay the bigger bills we have.

I am a thinker, an analyzer, a watcher of people and I am very aware of my actions and surroundings. I know my behavior can affect others around me and I try to be aware and tactful. What do you do when you recognize the signs of depression in yourself and try as you might, knowing that you should be cleaning the dishes or looking after girls, your body chooses to shuffle over to the couch and plop down to watch 4 hours of TV, sending the girls to Daddy when they want or need something. I am sleeping more and getting up later in the morning. I struggle with myself to do more than watch TV and find my brain resisting my efforts. Then my miracle happened...

Even though Hubby is my everything, a girl still needs her girlfriend. Of all the days my best friend could have called, this was the day I needed it most. This is the girl that knows me better than anyone and has been my partner in crime for so many things. We have shared both good times and bad times with each other and I can always count on her to walk with me down our crazy memory lane. As if she sensed I needed her shoulder to cry on, she called and made me laugh again. We talked for nearly 6 hours on the Video Phone, while Hubby kept the girls busy and let me have my "girl talk".

We talked about everything and I shed some tears, I laughed and then eventually we ended up doing a little gossiping. It was what I really needed most today, to have some kind words and encouragement and recharge my batteries to keep me going. It was nice to not worry for a few hours and instead to enjoy talking and laughing and hearing what was going on with so-and-so and to also get a reminder that though we may be low on money, we have our health and love for one another. She is dealing with medical issues in her family and my heart aches for her. We made plans to get together with her coming all the way out here for the day, so I don't have to come up with gas money to go to her. We have known each other since high school and I predict we will grow old and grey together. Thanks friend, for calling today. I feel so much better and my heart is lighter.

I also want to thank LaRonda for leaving a heartfelt comment on my previous post. It was a kind reminder that I am not the only one that goes through tough times and to know that it isn't permanent. There IS a light at the end of this dark tunnel and every now and then we pass a window where light shines in, showing us the good things in life.


This is another Santa that my Dad carved and my Stepmom painted. They make a good team!

My soul is feeling better today and I feel optimistic again. People around us have rallied to support us and I am more than grateful for their kindness. It has always been hard for me to ask for help and I am not one to break down and reveal my weaknesses. This holiday has shown me that people are still full of hope and a willingness to help others and it just makes my heart swell. A total stranger that Hubby and I have never met but has become good friends with Hubby's mother has given us a turkey for our Christmas meal. Just that small act of kindness chokes me up and has restored my faith in human kindness and goodwill. The in-laws are coming over tomorrow and they are bringing a few gifts for the girls to wrap for each other. I feel so lucky to have such wonderful in-laws.

My Christmas spirit is coming back and it's due to all the kindness of people around me. Thank you, and I wish you all a very Merry Christmas (or Happy Hanukkah) and a prosperous New Year!

6 comments:

LaRonda said...

This is wonderful to hear. Thank you for sharing. There are random acts of kindness alive and well in this world and it's nice to be reminded now and then of how beautiful we all can be.

Merry Christmas, Mountain Mama.

~ LaRonda

Deaf Pixie said...

Similiar my situation that I lost my job and still struggled with lack of incomes since my husband still working and working two jobs to supportive our family living.

This years we decide that I don't put christmas tree. It is kind of hard to talk bout no christmas tree. It is too hard to share with you or people.

I can understand your through difficult time, as mine like that.

Deaf Pixie

Sparx said...

Hi gorgeous - I'm so sorry things are rubbish at the moment. Wish I could help. You are lucky though, you've got great kids and a great man and times like these always pass. Let yourself watch TV and tune out for a while if you need to - a little depression sometimes gives us a clearer view of the way forward. Have a wonderful Christmas, I'm sure you will, you have a great spirit and in truth, you know how wealthy you are in the things that count.

By the way, your story of the people coming into the shop at the end to be given whatever they need has really stuck with me, I think about it all the time and have donated a lot of stuff recently to local charities. Just wanted to let you know that you've had an impact.

Karen Putz said...

"Girl talk" has gotten me through some difficult times as well-- thank goodness for our gal friends! :)

May your spirit stay up for many more days ahead!

jenny said...

Laronda-- We have been blessed with knoing and meeting some wonderful people lately and it does me good to know that the world AND people are still kind-hearted.

Merry Christmas to you, too!

Deaf pixie-- I'm sorry to hear you lost your job. I hope you find one soon. I know it can be hard with less income and it takes some adjusting to change the way we spend to save money. I wish you all the best this Holiday and you can still celebrate without a tree. :o)

Sparx-- Thanks for your kind words. You are right, I DO know that I am lucky in so many more ways than one and I count my blessings. I am glad that I was an inspiration to you with donating your unwanted items. We can all help others if we just do a little bit here and there. Hope you have a great Christmas with Frog and the Spud! :o)

Karen-- Oh, what would we do without our girlfriends??? I have definetely felt so much better since my girltalk and I am seeing things with renewed spirit!

Deaf Pixie said...

Mountain Mama,

Good nickname for blogger," Mountian Mama" I like it the name of your serious blogger.

I looking at Santa that you sell. I love it and could not buy one for our family personal from your homemade craft. I think it is sooo cute.

Of course I deal with the christmas has really sprirt to me and my kids seem put difficult time,too.
I am really enjoyed to share with people who is not have a christmas or against their reglious for not have a christmas. I have to be respect the people dont beleive the christmas issues.
It is really complete feeling so different.

~Deaf Pixie