I've been tagged for a Holiday meme by Summer and I see this is making the rounds elsewhere in Blogland, too. Feel free to join in and copy this meme to your own blog with your own answers and let me know so I can go peek at yours.
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I usually use a combination of the two. I take pleasure in wrapping presents and the first time Hubby came over to my house before he became my husband was when I needed help to wrap presents when my right hand was in a cast. I learned Hubby wasn't much of a present wrapper and I knew then, I'd be the wrapper of the family! I use gift bags for all the cookies and fudge I make.
2. Real or Fake tree? I grew up with fake trees and after Hubby and I moved into together, we bought a real tree. We felt so guilty afterwards, knowing how it took about 10-15 years to grow, only to be chopped down and discarded like trash. Never again! We will only buy real if the root ball is there and we can replant it afterwards.
3. When do you put up the tree? Day after Thanksgiving. All that work to put it up and decorate, I'm going to enjoy it for as long as I can!
4. When do you take the tree down? Usually first week of January. New year, time to put away the old and start fresh!
5. Do you like eggnog? Oh yes!! Mom and Dad always bought a case every year and we drank until it was gone. Don't care for the spiked stuff though. Dad would make french toast with eggnog instead of milk. Yum!
6. Favorite gift received as a child? I don't have a memory for that kind of thing. I remember moments and feelings, but not specific items. Nothing stands out.
7. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes, one of those rustic kinds with a realistic scene. It isn't set up yet, though.
8. Hardest person to buy for? My Aunt. She spends all year shopping for presents and expects the same kind of dedication from you.
9. Easiest person to buy for? Hubby. I know him so well and he is easy to please but hard to surprise!
10. Worst Christmas gift received? Now this, I remember! Sister and I begged and begged for an Atari game system when it came out back in the early 80's. We lived in Louisiana at the time and Dad took the family to Disney World for Christmas. Sitting in the back of the station wagon was a wrapped box just the right size for an Atari game system. Sis and I couldn't keep our eyes off it, afraid that it would disappear if we looked away. I think we opened it in the hotel room and we ripped off the paper to find... an electric typewriter. I'm quite sure we had fun at Disney World, but all I can remember is the disappointment in seeing the typewriter. Never did get an Atari game system.
11. Mail or e-mail Christmas cards? Mail. I usually try to get them all out on Dec 1st. But since the kids have come along, I'm lucky enough to get them sent out at all!
12. Favorite Christmas movie? Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer!
13. When do you start shopping? I have a box labeled gifts and during the year I'll find something that's just perfect for so-and-so. If it doesn't turn into a birthday gift, it becomes a Christmas gift. Box is quite empty this year with Hubby out of work.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas gift? Sure! Sorry, I have no use for a rice cooker but I know just who does!
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Aunt's fruitcake! Oh yum yum!! She uses my Grandmother's recipe and it is oh so good! I dream of it and I cry when I eat the last bite.
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Clear right now.
17. Favorite Christmas song? How do I choose just one? I like most of them and the one playing in my head right now is "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas".
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? I remember one Christmas, before the kids came along, we had breakfast at Sis-in-Law's house, then we drove to Grandma's house for dinner and presents, then we went to Sister's house for a later dinner and more presents and then back home. We were miserable and the snap on our pants barely held together that night! Never again we vowed! Now we take turns and looks like this year we are staying home.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Yes.
20. Angel or star on the treetop? We have an angel. The one in the picture is one I made in high school but Hubby doesn't like it so we have a different angel on top of the tree.
21. Open presents Christmas eve or morning? When we were kids, we always opened 1 present on Christmas eve and the rest in the morning. Then Mom and Dad got divorced and it was spend Christmas eve with one parent and Christmas morning with the other. Now with my family, I am reverting back to my childhood tradition of opening 1 present on the eve of Christmas.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Commercialism and consumerism and pushy people at the stores. "Excuse me, I am not racing you to get to that DVD or that sweater. You want it? Take it! Just stop shoving!"
23. What I love most about Christmas? Just the chance to be with family. I wish it was year-round that people make time to get together with family and friends and not just for the holidays, but I'll take what I can get.