Tuesday, June 26, 2012

And the Eating is Good!

There's nothing better when the garden starts giving you it's first offering. While other people I know have already started eating from their gardens, early radishes and lettuces, even corn, we have only just harvested a few early onions and snow peas, and recently, broccoli and shelled peas.

I made a stir-fry using broccoli, onions, and snow peas from the garden the other day and it was just fantastic. Someday it would be nice if the beef came from the homestead as well, but until then, I'll enjoy what I got now.

The shelled peas had a bunch of heavy pods hanging, so I decided it was time to pick some. This is the first time I've grown shelled peas and after this first picking, I can see I definitely won't have enough to freeze. I'll have to make note of that and plant more next year! What I picked today was enough for a meal and they were so, so sweet and tender.  I could have easily eaten nothing but those peas, but instead, I made fettucine, chicken, homemade alfredo sauce and the peas, lightly steamed.


Even better than picking the peas is a husband that sits with me and helps me shell the peas! It was a beautiful day, not too hot and sitting in the shade, watching the kids play in the pool while shelling peas was a nice way to pass the afternoon. I sure got lucky having a husband like mine to play house with!

2 comments:

Cheyenne said...

Those peas look yummy. Once in awhile I like to eat them raw. I did a lot of things that were "wrong" growing up and eating raw peas was one of them.

jenny said...

Cheyenne-- oh we are always eating them raw!! They barely make it into the house with the 6 of us munching on snow peas and shelled peas!