Friday, October 23, 2009

This and That



It went from feeling like winter was here early back to lovely fall days this week. We took advantage of the warmer days and gathered fallen logs in our woods. How nice it has been not to start up the wood stove just yet. Maybe we can push not using the wood stove to November? Wait and see, it was overcast today, then rain, and all the windows are shut again, so who knows what the weather may bring this weekend.

I am trying to get the girls to come up with ideas for Halloween costumes. I don't want to buy over-priced, cheaply-made costumes that rip and tear on the first day. When I told the girls to make suggestions, they all immediately wanted to be disney princesses. *sigh* Let's see if I can get them to come up with other ideas. Oldest wants to use a renaissance princess costume we have that is surprisingly well-made and we've had for a few years now. I hemmed it when she was 4 and it was too long for her and will probably need to let it down for her to wear. I'll need to make her a crown of some sort as the one that went with it is long gone.

Last year, when we went trick-or-treating at the mall, there was an adorable little toddler who was made up as a french artist, with the black and white striped shirt, black pants, black beanie and carrying an paint board and brush. I'm hoping to get Youngest to dress up like that, as she already has the clothing, I'll just make a beanie and a cardboard paint board. She got upset when I told her we'd "paint" a mustache on her and she didn't want that. I think she just doesn't understand that it will wash off and I need to explain better to her what I meant.

The power company sent out their tree trimming people to trim any branches or cut down trees that pose hazards to the power lines. Several months back, a rep from the company went door-to-door, letting homeowners know and to get permission for them to come up on your property. They came up yesterday and spent most of the day trimming our trees. I know they are doing a good thing, preventing possible disruptions to the power, but I still can't help feel bad for all the trees they are cutting down.

The previous owners planted a great line of evergreens and they are nearly 3 stories tall. Each tree had the tops lopped off and we can now see the neighbors lights across the road. I know they'll grow back, but still... On the bright side of things, the tree-trimming guys asked us if we wanted the wood chips. Yes!! So after they were done for the day, they dumped the whole truck-full of wood chips exactly where we wanted them. They'll return on Monday to finish the job. They also left the logs from the trees they cut down which we will save for next year's wood pile.

My van is fixed, after nearly a month of being in the shop. Only one time, out of that whole month, I was able to "escape" for a couple of hours, when my Mom was here and Hubby took me to the food store. The rest of the time, I was "stuck" at home and feeling a bit stir-crazy. I am used to getting my kid-free time at the food store at least once a week, when I can leave the kids at home and get a few hours all to myself, without constantly being at the beck and call of 4 little ones. It was hard not having that time to myself and I appreciate the freedom the van gives me. Hopefully, the van will not give us any more trouble for a good while and now we can focus on getting the truck checked out. Always something to fix or work on around here!

Have a good weekend!

3 comments:

Carol said...

I remember my Mum dressing me up as a teabag at Halloween. Two large white bits of cardboard, a black marker pen for all the dots and then I was stapled into it (She did lots of dots on one side and then only one at the back and she wrote 101 perforations to make the perfect cup of tea). I had on thick black woolly tights and a turtle neck jumper so I wasn't cold and she made me a necklace and bracelet to match out of teabags and string. I won a prize for the most unusual costume :-)

C x

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

That painter costume sounds TOO cute! Maybe you can convince her to do it by making her into a vamped up FEMALE french painter instead. Instead of the mustache do crazy bright red lips or little red circles on the cheeks for blush. Just a thought. :)

And HOORAY!!! I'm so glad that you got the van fixed and can get out and about, going stir crazy is no fun and I'm betting your head will clear soon :)

Stephanie D said...

One year, DD went as a lamp--we made a wire frame with a sheet pleated over it, and tied an electric cord to her waist to drag along behind her. I don't remember what we did for the finial, but it was different!

the French painter sounds cute! Check the library--if the books aren't out right now, there are some good ones available.