Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Grapefruit!

I got to see the house that my sister lives in. I got to see the pool they swim in. I got to see the citrus trees they have in their yard and got my first, good look at a grapefruit tree! It was heavy with fruit and I was more than a little disappointed that they weren't ready to pick and eat. Or so I thought. Sister grabbed one, cut it in half and behold! they're ready! We all gleefully picked grapefruit, even the girls were getting in on the fun and we filled up a small laundry basket with grapefruit. I was so excited with knowing I was going to take some home with us, and then Sister told me to take it all. All of it!? No, no, no. I don't need that many! "Make marmalade with it!" she said. Really? I can take it all? O-K. So I am drowning in grapefruit! Happy happy happy!

I looked up my canning cookbook on how to make grapefruit marmalade and it only takes 2 grapefruits to make 3 pints. So I'll probably make 3 or 4 batches. Then I saw a recipe for canning grapefruit sections! Oh yum! I will most definitely be doing that! I remember my mom and dad buying big jars of grapefruit sections and it never lasted long in our house. I know what I'll be doing these next few days...

4 comments:

lady macleod said...

The slices are so yummy in oatmeal (said the Scot).

jenny said...

Lady M-- Hmm.. grapefruit slices on oatmeal? Not something I've ever heard of before, but I'll take your (Scot's) word for it! :o)

DJ Kirkby said...

Oh yummy! My mom eats half a grapefruit every day and so would I if I could afford it!

jenny said...

Dj-- They are delish!! Are they expensive where you are? They are on sale at the food store here for $1 each. I still have plenty left after canning wedges and juice and am about to start on the marmalade.